Well, I currently do not have a supply issue but my concern is that I will very soon if Little Man keeps up with this issue... He does not seem very interested in nursing AT ALL! He only nurses for like 2 minutes a side. Karoline was a fast nurser too but not quite this short. And I am really only concerned because he is so tiny. I don't want him to keep going down in the percentiles...
So I am currently nursing 4 times a day and he eats a small breakfast of 2 tbsp. of rice cereal with 1 tbsp. of pear and lunch and dinner are usually about 4 tbsp. of veggies. When I do nurse him he just pulls off and starts looking around. I know I have milk because it is visible and I hear him gulping it down AND he does not cry for more and is totally satisfied when finished. This all started once he began crawling and I think he just wants to get down and play! (He is ALL BOY!)
I just know that when Karoline started weaning at 10 1/2 months finishing at 11 months my supply went away pretty quickly. I don't think my supply will stay if he keeps this up for the next 4 1/2 months!! OR do you think I am worrying over nothing?
This is what I have tried to fix the issue but neither seem to help... feeding him in quiet room & adding a feeding (totally NOT interested!). Like I said, I would not be worrying if he was like Karoline in the 90th percentiles but since he is in the 12th and has dropped every doctor's visit since he has been born, I worry. I don't see how he is getting the 24oz. minimum of milk a day! TJ thinks he is weaning but I have not known a baby to wean so early AND its not like he wants more milk after.
ANY THOUGHTS??? Have any of you mom's been through this???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Hey - Just keep trying to nurse and if he doesn't seem interested I would pump to keep the milk up. He probably wants to get down and play. Maybe you could pump and put it in a cup???
You could pump after each feeding or even add in a few pump sessions to make your body think it needs to produce more, but like you said, it's not a supply issue, it's Anderson. Elise did this at 9ish months and I pumped faithfully for a whole month before finally giving up. Honestly, unless you have the patience to do that for the next 4.5 months and have a REALLY good pump, then I would just let him wean. It sounds like that's what he's doing and you can't stop it. Elise was the same way and you'd rather go with formula (even though it is expensive) and know they are getting enough to eat vs. trying to keep it up just for the sake of it, you know? I know you are a one year BF kinda of girl - so was I - but we can't always control what our kids will do, so don't be too hard on yourself either!! Let us know what happens.
Hey Beth...I'm by far NOT an expert on this topic, considering that I did not BF Noah and I've only BFed Sailer for 3 months, but it sounds like Anderson is going through a phase b/c of his newfound freedom on the floor...I remember when Noah first started crawling, cruising, and pulling up...that was his mission in life...he showed less interest in everything about his routine. So, it may just be something that he'll go through for awhile...I would just pump to maintain my production unless you want to try to start formula. By the way, we supplement with a generic version of formula that is MUCH more cost efficient and my pediatrician says that it is absolutely the same thing, so that's another option too....
Keep us posted! **Isn't it unbelievable how different children can be? I'm finding that out with Sailer as well....
Makayla was the exact same way! She only nursed around 5 min total for months. She was in the 5th % at one time and the doc said she was fine. She was really efficient and my milk came very quickly. if he's not acting like he still needs more i wouldn't worry.
My baby boy did the same thing for a while. But at 10 1/2 months he is better now. One thing someone suggested was to try different positions. Maybe sitting up, if they feel like you are trying to put them to sleep they tend to fight it more. And if he is a TV watcher you can sit where he can see the TV and nurse at the same time.
Post a Comment