Sunday, May 03, 2009

Kids Clothes- Little Budget Does Not Have To Mean Little Style

I know we are all short on cash but I have found ways to feed my monogram addiction in a recession! I am inspired by a lot of other frugal mom's out there in the blog world and wanted to pass on some saving... Just because you have a little budget does not mean you have little style.

I am sure you could do the same thing with boys stuff too but TJ won't let me put anything monogrammed or smocked on him so I just have done stuff for Karoline!

If you LOVE smocked dresses and stuff as much as me but CANNOT and WILL NOT pay $50+ check out EBAY! And shop well known brands at the end of the season and buy for the next year. That's what I always do and the savings is AMAZING!

Also, I LOVE monogrammed beach towels but PBK's are like $35 so here is my solution... Walmart as some cute beach towels that we got for $5.75 and you could add a monogram and it would be about $13.

If YOU have any more $$ saving tips please let me know... I always love to learn how to save!

First is dresses: Target has the CUTEST dresses and since Karoline wakes up everyday (no lie!) and asks to wear a dress I shop their sales. I do look for dresses that can be monogrammed and then take them to my sweet lady who usually monograms for $5 or $6... makes a $12.00 Target dress fabulous! Much better than the $50 dresses I usually see in boutiques and catalogs. I did 4 dresses for the summer season. Here is one of them she wore the other night...


"I DON'T want you to take a picture Mommy!"

I did it with bathing suits too... I LOVED the monogrammed bathing suits I saw in a catalog I got but $40 for a monogrammed bathing suit- NO! How about $6.99 at suit sale at Target and a $5 monogram= $11.99... Much better! I did 2 suits for the season. Also makes a great gift, right Emily :)

Our family day at the pool today...



Not so sure he wants to get in...



Hanging on for dear life... He is always so scared at first...

Crazy hair little man...

They love us...

5 comments:

sjefferson said...

Another insider idea from The Gap. Gap clothes traditionally last longer than most and hold their value should you decide to consign them. They have sales all the time! You rarely need to buy something full price (unless you work there and use your 50% off). At the end of each season they usally have "additional 25% off sales" and this is off sale prices of 4.97, 6.99, etc. It pays off if people shop for next year! For example, I got rid of my yucky long-sleeved shirts from the past winters and bought some last week normally $19.50/each for only 2.99, plus 25% off! Also, if you see something you like but your store doesn't have your size, simply call 1.800.Gap.Style and they'll locate it near you or at a flagship store often in California, New York or Chicago, match the price and send it to you. Bottom line, store deeply discount clothes right before/after they put out their new upcoming season of clothes.

sjefferson said...

One other thing, if you don't monogram -- take the time to consign your clothes! You can make money on clothes you would otherwise hand down to friend and can put that money towards the next season!

Kimberly Jones said...

Great ideas Beth! I just bought some of the cutest dresses at Target:) I may need to monogram them now...but Andy is with TJ on this one...I think Kylie will be my only one to monogram too!

Beth Goff said...

Sarah, Great ideas and I do all of them already :) I totally agree Baby Gap is worth the few extra $$ because you can hold their value so much more and are great for re-sale plus the quality is MUCH better. And like you said you CAN get Gap stuff for even less than Target sometimes! I also go back for price adjustments often. I have sold some outfits on Ebay for more than I paid for them! I have sold a LOT on ebay in the past but mostly do consignment now b/c with working I just don't have as much time. BUT consignment is great too... I have already got two pay checks since I have been in SC from our consignment store.

It is work though b/c I have to be very careful about stains and working to get them out. My friends in California thought I was OCD about stain removal :) Oh well... it paid off!

Also, sometimes when I monogram I just do a "K" on the outfits/ suits so I can sell them on Ebay when I am done. I would say I do that about 65% of the time. It's so easy to sell monogrammed stuff on ebay!

We are all saving $$$!!

Brooke said...

I get tons of customs and monogrammed clothes off Etsy.com. I can always find something in my price range. You should also join www.gymbofriends.com. It's a website full of mom's with shopping addictions. We buy, sell and trade clothes. In order to sell you have to pay a $2.99 monthly membership but it's so worth it!!! I used to consign McKenna's clothes but found that I make way more selling them on gymbofriends.